Ubuntu Pi Flavour images based on 16.04.2 for the Raspberry Pi 2 and Raspberry Pi 3 are now available for download. The release includes updated images for Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu.
However, we dropped the Ubuntu Pi Flavour server images in this release and also removed the old images from the downloads. We’ve done this because better quality officially supported, images are available for Ubuntu Core and Ubuntu Classic Server.
Download Ubuntu images for the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B and Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.Download
The Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu images for the Raspberry Pi 2 and
Raspberry Pi 3 based on the regular Ubuntu
armhf base, not the new
Ubuntu “Snappy” Core, which means that
the installation procedure for applications uses the traditional tools,
We have done what we can to optimise the build for the Raspberry Pi 2 and Raspberry Pi 3, you can comfortably use applications such as LibreOffice, which in fact is a joy to use :-) But the microSDHC I/O throughput is a bottleneck so we highly recommend that you use a Class 6 or Class 10 microSDHC card. The images also fully support the built-in Bluetooth and Wifi on the Raspberry Pi 3 and also features hardware accelerated video playback in VLC and hardware accelerated decoding and encoding in ffmpeg
These are the changes since the Ubuntu Pi Flavour Maker 16.04 images were released.
- Performance optimised.
- Added automated first boot partition resizing.
- Optimised partition offset calculations
- Optimised filesystem features.
- Disabled unnecessary services to reduce CPU cycles and RAM requirements.
- Forked and adapted
- Added pi-top brightness and power-off support.
- Backported BlueZ 5.41.
ffmpeg3.2 including Raspberry Pi hardware acceleration for MMAL decoding and OMX encoding.
pi-bluetoothto 0.1.2 including failsafe systemd units.
gpiozeroto 1.3.1. A simple API for controlling devices attached to the GPIO pins.
picamerato 1.12. Pure Python interface to the Raspberry Pi’s camera module.
pigpioto 1.130. Library for Raspberry Pi GPIO control.
python-sense-hatto 2.2.0. Sense HAT python.
raspberrypi-sys-modsto 20170208, which completely replaces
raspi-gpioto 0.20170105. Dump the state of the BCM270x GPIOs.
rpi.gpioto 0.6.3-1. Python GPIO module for Raspberry Pi.
rtimulibto 7.2.1-3. Versatile C++ and Python 9-dof, 10-dof and 11-dof IMU library.
- Updated Xorg via the LTS Enablement Stack.
- Added cap1xxx; A python library designed to drive various Microchip CAP1xxx touch ICs.
- Added drumhat; A python library designed to control Drum HAT.
- Added envirophat; A python library designed to control Enviro pHAT.
- Added explorerhat; A python library designed to control the Explorer HAT and pHAT.
- Added microdotphat; A python library designed to control Micro Dot pHAT.
- Added mote; A python library designed to control Mote.
- Added motephat; A python library designed to control Mote pHAT.
- Added pantilthat; A python library designed to control Pan-Tilt HAT.
- Added pianohat; A python library designed to control Piano HAT.
- Added piglow; A python library designed to drive Piglow.
- Added rainbowhat; A python library designed to control Rainbow HAT.
- Added scrollphat; A python library designed to control Scroll pHAT.
- Added sense-emu; A client library for the Raspberry Pi Sense HAT emulator.
- Added sn3218; A python library to help control the SN3218 18-channel PWM LED driver.
- Added st7036; A python library to help control the ST7036 LCD driver.
- Fixed first boot configuration. Ubiquity now prompts to join available WiFi networks.
- Disabled SSH by default.
- SSH can be enabled via
raspbi-configor creating a file named
sshguardis also automatically enabled when you enable SSH.
- SSH can be enabled via
- Dropped the servers images.
Specifically for the Ubuntu MATE image:
- Backported MATE Desktop 1.16.1.
- Reduced the image size to 5GB, down from 8GB.
The Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu Flavour Maker images are not snap compatible.
- We hope to have
snapdcompatibility in the 17.04 images.
- The 32-bit and 64-bit PC versions of Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu since 16.04 are
- We hope to have
- Upon completion of the first boot setup WiFi doesn’t work, at all. Reboot and WiFi will be available.
Find out more about Ubuntu MATE for Raspberry Pi 2 Model B and Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.Read more